Sunday, June 12, 2011
Kam Royal: Sophomore of the Year!
Below is a recent interview, via email, with up and coming rapper Kam Royal:
1. So what inspired you to become a rapper?
Well I always loved to rap, so when I sent out my first song to a blog last and then people liked it, thats what really sparked it. The more I worked on music seriously the more I loved it and it developed into a passion.
2. Who are your biggest role models in terms of style, flow, and your music in general?
Well when it comes to my musical influences, thats a much wider spectrum of music I listen to than just rappers. As for the rappers with the biggest influence on my style and flow I'd have to say Jay-Z, Ludacris, Tech Nine, Big L, Notorious BIG, J Cole, Dom Kennedy, Drake
3. How long have you been seriously rapping and How have the fans and haters out there influenced your style?
Since last summer, July or August can't recall which. And no offense, but my fans and "haters" have no influence on my style. While its nice when people like something, I always make the music I feel like making. Thats not to say I dont appreciate constructive criticism, I do. But I don't really pay attention to the comments people make on youtube or on blogs.
4. Which of your songs from your newest mixtape or in general, do you think express you the best? Why?
A Feel Good Track. I really have a feel good personality and I try to make feel good music. Like I say in the intro, it actually was raining and Miles (Felix Beats) and I were like "lets make a feel good track" so we did. I really like that song, probably my favorite off Vindicated because its so true to me.
5. What was the first rap you ever wrote? Do you have any big plans for this year?
I wrote it in 5th grade after my brother Simon (shout out Simon who just turned 19 yesterday) wrote a rap. I actually still have that rhyme book. I'm not gonna tell yall how it started but I was on some different sounding ish back then haha. And yeah my plans are to drop at least two mixtapes by the end of the year and do a bunch of show.
6. What messages are you trying to convey to your fans through your music?
Do you. Be yourself. Never apologize for that.
Check out Kam here: